Welcome

Thank you for stopping by to perv on my blog, as I fight myself to change my old habits and make new ones to get fit. I don't get it right all the time, but I'm still here and I'm still working at it.

Tamzins Double Dog Dare You Ticker!

My homage to the 14lbs that I lost on Allan’s DDDY Challenges. A watering can for the vast oceans of water that I have learned to drink and love every day.





Sunday, November 28, 2010

Wild Grapefruit!!!

Hubby and I got up nice and early this morning (for a weekend) and went down to the park to walk. Its so gorgeous out this time of year I like to get out as much as possible.

As we were walking along, enjoying the sunshine and the birds and trees and breeze I saw something in the forest.... something... fruity.... can you see it....






















I stop and pointed... is that a lemon tree? Pears?

My poor Canadian brain couldn't wrap around what damn fruit could be growing wild in the middle of the park in winter... relative winter of course, since I'm in shorts and back home it is -25 celcius. ha!






















We went in closer for investigation. GRAPEFRUIT. Wild bloody Grapefruit, just beautiful and full...hanging there on branches .. I've never seen grapefruit on a tree before!!! There they were... right in front of me 25feet in from the forest edge. Free for the taking!!!

























We bushwacked in a little (I dont know if you know what "forest" is like in Texas...but its pretty hellishly dense) went and the husband and I pulled the branches down and picked some. We debated... can they be ripe?

So we peeled one... it looked good....the flesh was that deep pinky orange...so I ate some. It was one of the best damn grapefruits I've ever had. So on the way back we picked some more. Now I have them sitting at home in a bowl. YAY!! I'm going back tomorrow to get some more after work.



















I mean.. come on.. they are free and it doesnt get much fresher than that!!!

















~~~~~

If you go out in the woods today,
you're in for a big surprise.
If you go out in the woods today,
you might be able to summize.
That there is fruit just hanging on trees,
and you can take whatever you please,
because today there is grape-fruit in the for-est!

4 comments:

Mrs. O said...

That is a great find! My aunt in Florida has all kinds of trees in her backyard; grapefruit is one of them.

Fruits taste so much better when they come right out of nature, don't they?

Shrink to Fit said...

What luck! As a native Texan, I can't say that I've ever found grapefruit in the forest! That is an awesome find, for sure.

Maybe I just need to get out and walk, teehee.

Maude said...

Wow - yum! I grew up in Alaska so I'm totally with you on being excited about finding random fruit out in the wild. That's so neat!

Tamzin said...

Totally awesome off the tree. I grew up in canadian fruit country...apples pears cheeries...but never citris! So fun. I can't wait to eat one tomorrow!

Tena... let me know if you want to meet up and I'll show you were my "secret tree of fruit" is. :D

Thanks for stopping in Maude!! YAY fruit!